Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Cathedral


Wow. That's all I have to say. The detail of the animation in this film was so stunning! Every move the main character made seemed lifelike, right down to the wind blowing his hood. I will admit though, I agree with the fact that the closer something looks to being real without being real is creepy. There was this huge eerie feeling throughout the entire film. You definitely got the feeling of enchantment the way the "statues" of the "people" on the pillars moved. I wasn't really surprised when the guy became one of the pillars himself, but it was still spooky. There's a line in "The Lion, the Witch, and Wardrobe" where Mr. Beaver says "Whenever you meet anything that's going to be human and isn't yet, used to be human once and isn't now, or ought to be human and isn't; you keep your eyes on it, and you feel for your hatchet." I kind of get that feeling when I see these ultra realistic animated characters. They're just downright creepy, and I'm not sure anyone could ever animate a character that looked AND FELT really human. It kind of goes back to that article C. S. Lewis wrote where he said it's more believable to create a fantasy world for a story than to try to bend the rules of the actual world. I wonder if maybe this one should have been added to the repertoire of "spooky" short films that were shown on Halloween.
:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home